Big Band Night - The Big BandExpress Anniversary Concert
LiveMusic - Big Band Jazz
The Big BandExpress
- Sat 24-02-2018 9:30 PM - 2 h
- Sat 19-05-2018 9:30 PM - 2 h
- Fri 28-09-2018 9:30 PM - 2 h
- Sat 17-11-2018 9:30 PM - 2 h
- Sat 16-02-2019 9:30 PM - 2 h
$200 (in advance, *Fringe members), $230 (on the day), $150 (**Student, Senior)
Presented by the Fringe Club as one of the programmes in the “Jazz-Go-Central, Jazz-Go-Fringe” project, “Big Band Nights” feature various local jazz big bands.
The Big BandExpress emerged in 2016 under the leadership of a Trombonist and Band Director, Oliver Cura. The band is a twenty-piece ensemble built around the core of the successful BandExpress, with the inclusion of additional horns (trumpets, trombones and saxophones) to entertain audiences and events which require the distinctive textures, expression and power of the Big Band sound. Band members include Hong Kong based Jazz musicians, Freelance Session Players and Music Educators.
The ‘Big Band era’ is associated with swing music and dance halls of the 1930s to 50s. Famous band leaders and musicians of the time included Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, Duke Elligton and Benny Goodman. The Big BandExpress pays homage to this deep heritage yet goes decisively beyond by playing diversity of genres covering RnB, Funk, Rock, Jazz-Fusion, Latin and Pop as well as Swing – showcasing Big Band music through the 1960s, 70s, 80s, 90s and bringing it right up to date. Sets typically incorporate hits from artists and bands such as Stevie Wonder, Alicia Keys, Incognito, and Swing Out Sisters as well as tunes from famous contemporary big bands of Buddy Rich, Sammy Nestico, Mark Taylor, Dave Wolpe, Arturo Sandoval and Roger Holmes – to name but a few.
- Tickets will be available one month before each performance date.
- Admission: 30 minutes before show time.
- No outside drink or food is allowed inside the venue.
- 40 seats plus standing spaces. Seats are first-come-first-served.
- *Fringe Club membership card MUST be presented at the door.
- **Limited quota. Student card/ Identity card MUST be presented at the door.
“Jazz-Go-Central, Jazz-Go-Fringe” is financially supported by the Arts Capacity Development Funding Scheme of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
The content of these programmes does not reflect the views of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Hong Kong Fringe Club reserves the right to change the programmes and performers