JazzSpeak: What is JAZZ?
The Chung Brothers
- Sat 17-03-2018 2:30 PM - 2 h
- Sat 07-04-2018 2:30 PM - 2 h
- Sat 26-05-2018 2:30 PM - 2 h
$50 (Standard), $40 (*Fringe members), $30 (**Student/ Senior)
Presented by the Fringe Club as one of the programmes of “Jazz-Go-Central, Jazz-Go-Fringe” project, JazzSpeak is the training programme of the Jazz Youth Internship Scheme Phase I. From March to August 2018, a series of six lectures will be held at the Fringe Club. Topics include jazz introduction to beginner and its development, promotion of jazz music, arts administration and concert curatorship, and music education. The talk will be opened to the public as well.
The first three lectures will be hosted by the Chung Brothers, examining jazz from its origins to the present, its relation to other forms of music and different styles within the jazz genre. Representative and monumental instrumental and vocal recordings from the past one hundred years will also be explored.
Lecture time will be spent listening to, analyzing, and discussing a wide variety of recorded jazz performances and watching jazz videos. Guest musicians will be invited for demonstration on relevant topics. This can help to increase participants’ understanding, appreciation, and enjoyment of jazz, sharpen their listening skills and the ability to communicate clearly and intelligently about the music.
Sat 17 March 2018
From New Orleans Jazz to Swing
- Musical elements and Instruments
- Jazz form and improvisation
- Early Jazz, New Orleans Jazz, Dixieland Jazz
- New York in the 1920's
- Louis Armstrong and the first great soloists
- Swing Era: Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, etc.
- Blues: The form and its relationship with Jazz
Sat 7 April 2018
From Bebop to Hard Bop
- Bebop, Cool Jazz & Hard Bop
- The Modality of Miles Davis, John Coltrane & Bill Evans
- Soul Jazz: Blue Note, Horace Silver, Jimmy Smith, etc.
- Jazz Vocals: The divas and the kings
Sat 26 May 2018
From Bossa Nova to Jazz Fusion
- 1960's: R&B, Soul, Latin Jazz
- 1970's: Fusion
- Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea
- Jazz today in the world and in Hong Kong
- Live demonstration by Billy Chan (piano) and Tsang Tak Hong (bass)
The Chung Brothers
- Programmes elaborated mainly in Cantonese.
- Admission: 30 minutes before show time.
- No outside drink or food is allowed inside the venue.
- Limited seats, first-come-first-served.
- *Fringe Club membership card MUST be presented at the door.
**Student card/ Identity card MUST be presented at the door.
“Jazz-Go-Central, Jazz-Go-Fringe” is financially supported by the Arts Capacity Development Funding Scheme of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
The content of these programmes does not reflect the views of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Hong Kong Fringe Club reserves the right to change the programmes, speakers and performers